In a few weeks the Spring Equinox will herald the beginning of spring but we can already see the changes in nature all around us. The energy which retreated into the roots of plants and trees is now rising and creating buds and flowers. We are coming out of the season of energy conservation and entering a time of new beginnings and renewal. Our bodies which are a microcosm of the universe are also undergoing change. We look forward to the increased activity, warmer weather and expansion of spring.
The organ meridians associated with spring are the liver and gallbladder. The element of spring is wood and its energy has the ability to break through obstacles. In TCM the liver is responsible for the smooth flow of energy throughout the body; when liver energy is balanced the physical and emotional activity of the body functions optimally. Liver is also associated with ligaments and tendons and the eyes.
To promote health during spring:
- Stretch- to maintain flexibility and tendon health, yoga, tai chi, Pilates
- Eat greens- fresh leafy greens and sprouts can improve the liver’s function
- Sour tasting food and drinks stimulate the liver’s function. Add lemon, vinegar and pickles to your diet.
- Outdoor activity- fresh air improves liver flow
- Eye exercises- take breaks when looking at a computer monitor or TV for extended periods of time and do eye exercises
- Milk thistle tea is a great detox. It helps cleanse the liver from environmental toxins, alcohol, medications, pesticides and other substances